The holidays are upon us!! Holiday music, dresses, the hustle and bustle of the season and let’s not forget — Holiday parties!! Although we love the holidays (or maybe not…lol) – they are HERE! It seems as though the Holiday season is a time when people can easily fore-go their healthy eating and workout routine because they are too busy and bombarded with so many unhealthy decisions. Wine, cookies platters, parties filled with goodies and decadent desserts — it’s no wonder people tend to pack on the pounds over the holidays!! People are moving less and eating more………Check out some of these holiday “treats” that are delicious, yes…..but can quickly add up and make your skinny jeans more and more “snug”.
Here are some tips to help keep the holiday pounds at bay and to enter into 2015 not feeling sluggish, tired, and feeling NOT at your BEST!
1. Make sure to SCHEDULE your workouts with yourself! MAKE THEM HAPPEN! Once you start to slack on getting your workouts done, they get easier to NOT do. You don’t have to workout harder – you just need to workout SMARTER. All you need is 30 minutes, 5 days/week. Make sure the workouts are pushing you and making you sweat! Burning calories and pushing yourself for 30 minutes a day can have LONG-TERM benefits for your health. You owe it to yourself and your jeans will FIT you come Jan 1!
2. Alcohol inhibits your fat-burning capacity. So, is it worth it to have those cocktails? If so, alternate with water and don’t go crazy. The next-day feeling isn’t always worth it either. Alcohol also lowers your inhibitions and reflexes around that dessert table! lol……It also makes you retain water and want to eat greasy, fatty foods the next day! ……….why were you wanting that cocktail again….? 😉
3. If you are invited to a Holiday party, bring something that YOU KNOW will be a healthy choice. Bring a veggie platter with hummus, slice cucumbers and add a greek yogurt dip. Bring turkey meatballs with a fresh, homemade tomato sauce. Pinterest has SO many options for healthy, clean alternatives that you can take to any Holiday party. Think ahead and have that ONE dish there that you can depend on having and it will keep your eating plan in check!
4. Don’t forget to drink your water throughout the day! Here’s a tip —> divide your body weight in half and drink that many ounces of water/day. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, drink 60 ounces/water each day. Water will speed up your metabolism, help curb hunger, keep you full and help to keep you energized.
5. Throughout the hustle and bustle of the Holiday season, don’t forget to take care of YOU! PLAN your meals and snack AHEAD of time! Remember to eat small, clean meals every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism up. If you know you will be busy all day – bring food with you! There is no shame in my game!! haha……I know that if I don’t plan ahead, I will be starving and will have to resort to something that will not help me stay on track or feel my best! Keep almonds and raisins in your purse, always have water with you, bring hard-boiled eggs, diced veggies and a banana with you. Plan ahead so that you cannot fail. Fail to plan then plan to fail!
6. Around this time of year, all of us are placed in positions where food, desserts, drinks and candies are offered to us. Many times, we feel that if we say, “No thank you”, that we are being rude and inconsiderate. You need to think of you and how you will FEEL by saying “yes”. Is it your best yes? Is it going to make you feel good after saying yes? Will you regret that decision if you say yes? Do what is best for you! Before you know it, if you say “YES” to everyone and everything this Holiday season, you end up putting yourself and your needs last. You’re not being selfish, you’re not being rude — you are being true to yourself and to your goals — which are valuable! January 1 is going to come sooner than you know — how do you want to feel? Bloated, tired, groggy and not able to fit into your jeans? NO? OK — then stick to your guns and FOCUS on your GOALS and you will feel amazing when 2015 begins!
You owe it to YOURSELF to feel your best! You owe it to yourself to NOT throw your health and fitness out the window! You CAN reach your goals even though you are faced with parties, goodies, drinks and treats over these next few weeks and I can help you! If you are interested in staying accountable and NOT being a holiday weight gain statistic…..fill out this application and join my next Challenge. I will coach you through and offer you daily accountability, inspiration, clean recipes, and positive motivation once you COMMIT to a program and Shakeology for one month! What have you got to lose! Make this Holiday season your best yet! 😉